Monday, December 12, 2011

Baseball, Weather, and a little Physics!~


    In the midst of the MLB winter meetings and the spirit of baseball thickly in the air, I thought this would be a great entry to make.

    If it wasn’t winter, I would go get my baseball bat (probably from little league) , a baseball, and I would fly out to Denver to prove that I could hit a baseball out at Coors Field.  Okay, maybe I am getting a bit ahead of myself considering I batted left handed all of my baseball career (keep in mind it was pretty short lasting through Babe Ruth) and I personally think I’m a righty hitter. But why don’t more major league players drool over the idea of playing for the Colorado Rockies --- I’ll tell you what, I would!

    Most people probably don’t know, except a few of you physics and baseball minded intellects, that a baseball actually flies farther at higher elevations.  They don’t call Denver, CO the “mile high” city for nothing.  I mean it makes sense right?  Less air, less pressure, less density the ball has to travel through which ultimately means the ball flying a little bit FARTHER then it normally would at regular elevation.  

    Heck, imagine some of those warm, humid June baseball nights you’d be able to play there. In those circumstances the ball would travel even FARTHER then it would say in early May.   When the air heats up, the air density actually decreases helping the trajectory of that ball stay up in the sky a little bit longer.  And we haven’t even mentioned humility factor.  Humid air is less dense then dry air so that means when the ball is hit in humid weather it would go travel even FARTHER!

    When you take all those factors into play, the ball actually travels about 10% farther at locations like Coors Field then it would at a stadium at sea-level.  Booyah!  That’s what I would say after I put the sweet part of the bat on the ball at Coors Field.  Heck if I was lucky, I would get it out of the infield!  10% of 100 feet is………10 extra feet! Let’s not judge here cause I welcome any takers at a good old fashion home run derby. This could be fun --- but we’ll leave the fun to the professionals for now and I’ll continue flipping that weather coin!

    And on the Ryan Braun subject --- I believe he did not do PED’s but he’ll still be suspended…what does that  mean?  I don’t friggen know!

No comments:

Post a Comment